Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Enchantress of Numbers


In honor of Ada Lovelace Day, a day to celebrate women in science, I searched for "Ada" on Etsy. To my delight I found a great buy that I am very exciting about, an Ada Lovelace print by the talented artist who goes by Minouette! (Search for her lovely work on Etsy.) Ada Lovelace has become one of my latest favorite historical lady. I have also noticed that she seems to be an unofficial Steampunk icon. She is the mother of the computer program and daughter of mad, bad, Lord Byron. For those unfamiliar she wrote how to calculate Bernouilli numbers using Mr Babbage's conceptual the analytical engine, which was in concept the worlds first computer. A great summary of her is available on the podcast "Things you Missed in History Class"She is also the subject of my favorite online comic, Lovelace and Babbage. I do love clever humor like that! I'm not sure if this is going to in the house or in my office and work but it was such perfect Steampunk inspired decor that I just couldn't resist.

Through my interest in Ada I have also stumbled across other blogs dedicated to historical women in science. I am very excited to see them emerging in the steampunk movement well beyond a nod to Madame Curie. At last the ladies are starting to come into the light and out of the footnotes for their contributions. Some ladies I want read more about are posted here, the official list of people who blogged for Ada Lovelace day. http://findingada.com/list/ I didn't know about the event until the following day otherwise I would have blogged for Ada as well, it is definitely on my "to do" list for next year! For my personal interest in astronomy I am putting Miss Leavitt toward the top of my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment